British Geon Ltd started operating in Barry in April 1948, at this time there was no club sponsored by the company. Groups of Geon employers began to organise small functions and during 1948-49 the triangle club sprang into being, doubtlessly named because of the links between the 3 companies; Distillers, Goodrich and Geon.
With the rapidly growing numbers of employees at Barry due to British Resin Products transferring all its operations to Barry in the early 1950, it was thought desirable to have a sports and social club. Subsequently in 1950 Barry Plastics Sports and Social was born which had no club room, no sports field but plenty of enthusiasm. Unfortunately during these early years the cricket and football teams matches were always away!
In 1952 suitable premises were found for a club room in Market Street, Barry. After considerable alterations and redecoration, on 15th December that year the club was opened by the club president Major C.J.P. Ball.
During 1952 Distillers succeeded in obtaining 37.5 acres of ground at the east end of the village of Sully. The covenant on the land was that one third of the ground would be used by the club and the remaining two-thirds would remain agricultural this agreement was for 10 years. Consequently 2 tennis courts and a cricket pitch were laid out and a temporary pavilion erected on the operational land.
After the 10 years the club began to draw up plans to erect a building in keeping with the magnificent setting at Sully. Subsequently on the 18th January 1962 the first foundation stone was laid by the Director of Distillers and Club President Mr H.H Woolveridge at 2pm on Saturday the 2nd June 1962 the Barry Plastics Sports and Social Club pavilion was formally opened by Mr H.H Woolveridge.
In early 1965 catering started under the guidance of the new Club Secretary Squadron Leader (now Mr) Walter McDean. The social and sporting sections at the club were growing rapidly and included the outdoor sports of football, cricket, archery, bowling and small bore shooting. Indoors interests comprised of darts, table tennis, Bridge, a wine club and a cine/camera club.
On 7th October 1966 the newly formed Distillers (Plastics) Rugby Football Club played its first match against Glamorgan XV winning 17-5. Their first season was very successful arousing considerable interest in the local rugby world; so much so that The Welsh Rugby Sports Magazine ran a full length feature in their March 1967 edition.
BP purchased the chemical and plastics interests of Distillers Company Ltd in 1967 and in 1968 took over the Sports and Social Club, supplying subsidies for the various sections which by now included Rugby, Cricket, Football, Archery, Tennis, Rifle and Pistol, Bowls, Sailing and Boating, Angling, Motor Club, Badminton and all indoor sports.
On Saturday, 4th May 1968 works general manager P. H. M. Sharrock rolled the first wood across the new outdoor bowling green and thereby opening the new facilities for general use.
This Partnership continued until 1993 when B P Chemicals called a public meeting to discuss their plans to sell half the site for housing and to give the Club the remainder. Over the three nights of debates three more proposals from the Company and one from the Club were put forward.
The Club’s proposal was accepted by BP, the blueprint being for the member’s to buy the club and its assets. This proposal was supported by 99% of the general public and members who attended the long and well fought meetings.
As agreed with BP the club purchased the Market Street and Sully Clubhouses along with their assets for £500,000. A deposit of £300,000 was paid and a further £50,000 for the lease for 135 years leaving a mortgage of £150,000 which was paid off over a five year period.
Since this time and with the assistance of Lottery Funding the club has built an 8 rink International Indoor Bowling Arena at a cost of 1.3 million pounds. The first bowl was rolled in October 1997 and it is now regarded as one of the best indoor bowling surface and facilities in the country and regularly host International Championships.
The Club is looking forward to new challenges with our new partners St. Modwen, as BP disposed of the leased land in 2008.